The Early Days of a Better Nation

Tuesday, May 12, 2009



Gigs

I have two gigs in Aberdeen this week: Wednesday 13 May, 7.30 p.m. at Cafe Scientifique (Waterstones, Union Bridge Branch, Union Street, Aberdeen), where I'll be talking about SF and public understanding of science; and Friday 15 May, 2.30 p.m. at the Talisman Theatre, King's College, on how my background in zoology and IT has influenced my writing. Both events are part of the University of Aberdeen Writers' Festival, Word 09.

Labels: , ,


2 Comments:

I looked at WORD 09. It sounds very good. I hope you mention the value of readable, reliable, and cutting-edge popularizations of science, as well as SF. Two weeks ago I finished V. Ramachandran's Phantoms In The Brain, and learned a lot from it. Now I'm reading its follow-up, The Emerging Mind (V.R.'s 2003 Reith Lectures). Less detailed but still worth reading, especially for SF fans who want to learn the real science behind the speculative extensions. Both books have excellent notes and bibliographies.

Thanks for the recommendations, George. I'll definitely check out Ramachandran.

Post a Comment


Home