The Early Days of a Better Nation

Wednesday, July 29, 2009



Fraternal assistance

My accomplished brother James is again a finalist in the national cartoon contest ‘Science Idol’, run by the Union of Concerned Scientists, for a place in their 2010 calendar. Take a look and see if you agree with me that James's cartoon (#2) is the best. And even if you don't agree with my totally unbiased opinion, vote!

(If you don't vote you can't complain about the results, you know. You'll have to endure month after month of a calendar above your desk or lab bench or kitchen table with cartoons with labels explaining what each element in them is supposed to represent. Maybe James could do a meta-cartoon with a character labelled 'subtle cartoonist' telling a character labelled 'unsubtle cartoonist' why cartoons with labels are so 18th Century.)

Labels:


3 Comments:

I read your brother's text on the paper and burst out laughing! With a bit of thinking I can probably remember at least one real-world example of such idiocy.
Speaking of calenders with each element depicted, I once wanted to buy Primo Levi's The Periodic Table , but it was too expensive for me and the topic did not seem interesting. I am sure this was a mistake, given the late Mr Levi's stature.

Reading your brother's cartoon blog has become one of my daily rituals. This one's a beauty!

I tried not to vote for your brother's cartoon Ken; but after I'd eliminated those which didn't seem to about science at all, or which were too laboured or just plain unfunny, I was left with a short list out of which your brother's cartoon emerged to gain my vote. Curse your silver tongue! ;)

Post a Comment


Home