The Early Days of a Better Nation

Sunday, November 28, 2010



'I split the universe!' Prof's shock claim divides audience

I haven't been blogging much lately because I'm busy writing Sin Bio, a novel set in a near-future dystopia where citizens can be casually and clinically tortured, wars are as endless as they're senseless, and winters keep getting longer and colder because of global warming. It takes a lot of work to make such a society remotely plausible. But in between racking my every imaginative resource, I've been taking part in a few events.

The most alarming, perhaps, was at the Newscastle Arts event on Parallel Worlds, where Professor Ian Moss gave a very informative lecture on different physical theories of parallel worlds: island universes, M-theory, Many Worlds, etc. Towards the end he explained that he had two different possible final sections of the lecture, and he was going to deliver both simultaneously: one in one universe, one in another. He asked an audience member to look up an online site which delivers random numbers (it may have been some quantum random number generator, or what Moss called the most dangerous book ever published, A Million Random Digits, which apart from generating many amusing Amazon reviews creates a new universe every time someone bases a decision on it). He then based a choice on this number, using some simple algorithm, and told us which of the two alternative concluding sections he was going for. In another universe, of course, he delivered the other.

I'm not sure how well this dangerous demonstration of macro-scale quantum effects came across, but it could fairly be said that the audience was evenly divided.

The most surprising and encouraging was Cockermouth Cafe Sci, where I gave a talk on why Craig Venter's synthetic cell was, on balance, a good thing. I came along prepared for the usual objections, and dealt with them in my talk, but nobody from the audience followed these up or raised any of their own. Instead they took all that for granted and asked mostly technical questions. I was very glad to have retired cell biologist John Lackie, who chaired the event, standing by to give the answers. Later he and his wife Ann told me that as the audience for Cockermouth Cafe Sci are mostly farmers (who use reproductive technology all the time) or nuclear workers, there ain't much of a hearing for alarmism in these here parts. Maybe the countryside will surround the cities after all.

Labels: , , , ,


7 Comments:

"If P(Y|X) ≈ 1, then P(X∧Y) ≈ P(X). Which is to say, believing extra details doesn't cost you extra probability when they are logical implications of general beliefs you already have."

More here: And the Winner is... Many-Worlds!

What single-world interpretation basically say to fit MWI: All but one world are eliminated by a magic faster than light non-local time-asymmetric acausal collapser-device. (Eliezer Yudkowsky and Scott Aaronson on Born Probabilities)

Whoops, the link to the talk in the above comment gave a wrong timecode. Here is the correct one:

Eliezer contends many-worlds is obviously correct

I look forward to _Sin Bio_, though I do miss the days when you wrote fiction.

I also like this "creating universes" thing. I do need a new hobby.

J.R., I miss them too. I intend to get back to it as soon as I've finished this one.

But seriously ... I'm trying to write something that doesn't read like SF, but is set in the future. It's actually working, so far, but it's hard work.

I am totally unsurprised at farmers and nuclear workers being so receptive: they're industries that might be almost designed to make people cynical about how news media and politicians deal with reality.

(I once described a farmer's job as "field-scale bio-engineering".)

“a near-future dystopia where citizens can be casually and clinically tortured, wars are as endless as they're senseless, and winters keep getting longer and colder because of global warming. It takes a lot of work to make such a society remotely plausible.”

Aren't we living in such a world already?

Martin, that was irony.

Post a Comment


Home